The fast development in the telecom and automotive industries creates opportunities for new, advanced applications. Modern cars can comprise more than 100 ECUs exchanging predictable, real-time communication. Autonomous or connected cars will communicate with the infrastructure and other vehicles.
There is an evident lack of a complete tool so the goal of the project is to provide a toolset for the next generations of complex, heterogeneous automotive networks and safety-critical applications. The consortium wants to fill the current gap of a complete tool chain supporting real-time communication in heterogeneous networks within the automotive sector.
The main project goal is to develop an integrated software toolset that provides time-critical, predictable and reliable communication for automotive applications in heterogeneous systems and heterogeneous networks. The tools developed will be demonstrated and tested against use cases and applications in the automotive industry.
For the automotive industry and its eco-system, the integrated tool set will:
- Support the development of time-critical applications in ITS (Intelligent Transport Systems), to guarantee delay, jitter, packet delivery rate for in-vehicle communication
- Facilitate efficient usage of next generation mobile networks (5G) for ITS-G5 automotive domain, i.e., V2X communication (Infra, vehicles, VRUs)
- Investigate how Software-defined networks (SDN) can be used in current ITS architectures (RSUs and OBU, Back-office) to optimize network services and applications
- Enable efficient usage of modern multi-core devices by providing an automotive real-time operating system and Linux on the very same multi-core device
- Enable new end-user applications and services in the automotive industry, particularly concerning demanding time-critical communication supporting e.g. autonomous driving and active safety.
As a result, all the improvements developed within the project will be a breakthrough in the industry. Break-through in the sense that no-one has been able to offer Quality of Service (QoS) solutions regarding data and jitter latency guarantees throughout by means of an end-to-end solution, also covering networks outside the vehicle. The complete solution will offer better user experience, increased network resource usage, guaranteed Quality of Service and the possibilities of new and diverse pricing models on services and driver’s applications.